1. This Incredible Photo of Astronaut Bruce McCandless II – Honestly, when I first saw this I thought it must be photoshopped by the person who posted it sent me to this link on the NASA website.
The photo was taken on February 12, 1984. Are you surprised, I was! I actually thought it would have been more recent. According to the website, it was the first ever untethered space walk. “Astronaut Bruce McCandless, ventured further away from the confines and safety of his ship than any previous astronaut had ever been. This space first was made possible by a nitrogen jet propelled backpack, previously known at NASA as the Manned Manuevering Unit or MMU.”
The photo below, which I discovered on social media, is a little more photographic/dramatic than the one found on NASA. I’m not sure if that is because there was more than one camera taking photos and this took them at a higher resolution or if someone has tweaked the “original” version, either way, the photo is amazing.
Here’s a few more photos…
2. This Door that Converts into a Ping Pong Table – Genius, no? There’s only one eensy weensy problem. It costs nearly $15,000!!!
3. This AWESOME Tweet that Includes a Video of the Celebration that Ensued After the Ship Stuck in the Suez Canal Finally Started Moving – EPIC! It brings tears to my eyes.
4. THIS Seven-year-old Boy Who Dressed Up as Amanda Gorman for “Dress as Your Idol Day” – well done!
5. This SNL Video from this Past Weekend – People who actually think of themselves as the “greatest generation” are NOT the greatest generation. Just sayin’.
Man, Boomers suck! Please God, don’t let us turn into them! Too late, it’s already happening…
6. This Gorgeous Apartment in Covent Garden that you Can RENT – it’s about $900 per night but if you shared it with two other people it would be completely worth it!
1. This Stonehenge Made Out of Ice (called “Icehenge”) – okay, so THIS is so AWESOME! And it turns out this was done by a friend of mine’s husband (along with a couple other guys.) How amazing is it! They didn’t do it this year because of COVID and I guess because it’s too cold but I told her to let me know if they do it next year because I want to see it in person. How did I not know about this?!?!
2. This Teacher – I mean, how cool is this? Teachers are way too underappreciated and definitely UNDERPAID.
3. These EXQUISITE William Morris Designs – I love, love, love the octopus. It’s so steampunk! (Steampunk is one of my many obsessions.) I can’t believe Morris created such a design but it’s really his!!! (Thanks Ann.)
5. This TikTok Environmental Science Enthusiast Known as the Black Forager – she’s adorable.
6. This “Cover” of ‘American Pie’ by Home Free Featuring Don McLean – thanks to my brother Michael for bringing it to my attention. So wonderful!!!
7. This Video of Ryan Reynolds Learning about Ice Sculpture – Ice Sculpture is super cool (and rather intimidating!) Every single time I watch a video of him I only love him even more (and when it’s of him and his wife Blake Lively, ❤️ both of them, they’re so cute!) BUT, it’s not surprising, after all, he’s Canadian.
Word of the Day
Quote of the Day
Today’s quote is from a series called ‘Dead Feminists Broadsides’ which have been gathered together in a book titled Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color. I am will post other broadsides in the future but I thought I’d start with Harriet Tubman in honor of Black History Month. You can purchase postcards of all (I think) of the broadsides and there are a few broadsides that you can still actually purchase. Also, there are some lovely mini-broadsides for a few “unofficial” members of the Dead Feminists broadside series. Personally, I would love to have them ALL! Click on the image below to go to the website.
1. If We Treated Teachers Like Pro Athletes – Key & Peele – this is from a few years ago but SOOOOOO relevant right now.
2. This Ingenious Hummingbird – Paraguayan Conservationist Bianca Caroline Soares snapped this photo back in September of 2019. She had been observing hummingbird nests for over a year but when she saw this one she knew it was something unique and special.
“The hummingbird went on to have two chicks, and Soares was able to capture the trio under one roof—literally. The flexible nest expanded to fit the new additions and the leaf was able to cover them all.”
3. This Tutorial by Telenovela star Kate del Castillo on How to be an Action Star – She is HILAROUS! I had tears in my eyes. I am planning on subscribing to Peacock TV I’m just waiting for my smartTV to get an app.
4. These three incredibly talented beauties – Norah, Yarah & Rosa known as Let it Happen(thanks to my friend Jeta for originally sharing this video). Just wow.
5. Hear Ye, Hear Ye – The Queen has her own Gin. There is pretty much nothing more perfect (and British) than this. Sadly it has already sold out. It is/was only available in the UK but I was hoping to get a bottle when I went over next year. Sigh.
The Queen is famous (infamous?) for having the same four cocktails every day.
And Food and Wineuncovered another detail about the Queen’s daily intake: the 91-year-old reportedly consumes four cocktails a day. And why shouldn’t she!? Let’s run through what they are:
Her first drink, per former royal chef Darren McGrady, enjoyed shortly before lunch, is a gin and Dubonnet with a slice of lemon and a “lot of ice.” Sure, this sounds about right. A classy and posh and powerful concoction.
Then, during lunch, she’ll have a piece of chocolate and a glass of wine at meal’s end. (That we have been eating lunch all these years without closing with a piece of chocolate and glass of wine now makes us feel utterly foolish.)
O.K., then, also at lunch, the Queen drinks a dry gin martini, according to her cousin Margaret Rhodes. So, yes, we are now at three drinks by roughly 1 p.m.
Her final drink of the day? It actually doesn’t come until she’s going to sleep: a glass of Champagne before bed.
6. Quarantine Public Library – this delightful little site currently houses over 40 one-page pdfs that you can download and fold into little “books.” They are really more like works of art. I made a donation of $30 and donated the mega-pack of the entire collection in one zipped file. If you donate $10 you can print out your own library card and there is also a general $5 donation level. Funds collected from the Quarantine Library are being directed to EveryoneON, which is a non-profit that connects low-income families to affordable internet service and computers. That is a non-profit I can absolutely support!
7. Urzila (pronounced Ursila like ….) Carlson – this South African comedian who does “not identify as fat” is my new favorite funny person. Her show on Netflix called ‘Overqualified Loser‘ is a hoot. Some might say she overshares, but then, isn’t oversharing really a subjective thing? For myself, I’ve always felt that society needs to stop being so freaking uptight and talk more about stuff. If we didn’t try to hide things that are part of life like menopause and mensuration and puberty and various stages of aging we’d all be more informed, less ashamed, and people that needed might need help would get it.
Anyhoo, back to Urzila, come on, how could a menopausal broad not adore a female comedian who is a lesbian, has a South African accent, and who does not identify as fat? Pinch me!
8. This video of Billy Joel playing a discarded piano – no words necessary.
9. Crabtree & Evelyn La Source Hand Cream – I have been using this for years. In fact, a while back one of my staff told me that my office smelled like this cream and it always reminded her of me. Which made me happy. It’s a nice scent. When I went to look for a link for this I started to panic because as I typed “Crabtree & Evelyn” into Google up popped “Crabtree & Evelyn closing down” – EEK! It appears that the retailer hasn’t survived the online sales surge so it did shut down its brick & mortar stores. So sad. But it relaunched in the middle of last year as online only and so this product is still available. Though sadly it has been repackaged and is not available in the larger size that has a pump. Still, I may need to stock up just in case.
10. Henry Cavill building a Gaming PC – seriously there is nothing hotter than a guy working on electronics. Is anyone else watching ‘The Witcher?’ I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing him in the new ‘Enola Holmes‘ movie!
*This week there was just too many things so I upped it to TEN things but this is not going to be a standing thing (I don’t think.)