1. This article on McSweeney’s* about Sensible Hairstyles for Women Over 50 (by Laura Winther Galaviz). I like the first one best, (a) because I am pretty sure I could pull it off, (b) I can actually crochet and (c) it’s just too spot on. –
Procure a fine purple yarn and crochet yourself a wig as thin and fragile as your waning relevance in American society.
2. This video of puppies walking to Stayin’ Alive…
3. The number of public libraries that are eliminating late fees/fines for overdue materials. The latest major municipality to do so is Los Angeles. Studies have shown that fines do not actually affect patrons willingness to return materials on time. If someone wants to keep a book past the due date, they’ll do so, fine or no fine. All fines/late fees really accomplish is preventing lower income individuals access to materials. That’s not what public libraries are about!
Sadly many libraries/municipalities have become so dependent on the revenue generated from the fines/fees it may take time for some of them to eliminate the fines. As a solution, some libraries in this dilemma have begun phasing the process in – for example, first eliminating fines/fees on children’s materials, then YA materials, then all materials. We’ll get there!
4. The sense of humor of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation!!!
5. These candles (I know you probably have a zillion candles in your house, as do I) but when the holidays come around these candles really put me into the Christmas spirit.)
*If you haven’t heard about McSweeney’s, it’s a hilarious humor website. I think that most people will figure this out fairly quickly but I always like to be clear about a site when I post humor/satirical items because, well, you know…