Love may not actually be a strong enough word for some of these, but I didn’t want to oversell anything. Thought I’d share with all of you, on a weekly basis (plan to do this on Mondays), five things I came across, used, saw, thought about, well, you get the gist, during the previous week. Here’s my first go…
1. This video of Taika Waititi and Stephen Merchant breaking down a scene from the movie JoJo Rabbit…
Taika Waitiki came onto my radar after I had watched Thor: Ragnarok. Ragnarok was different from all of the other Marvel films up to the point and I became a little obsessed. I started watching everything I could find on YouTube – outtakes, deleted scenes, and all the special little videos that Taika had created for the fans about the making of the film. He’s amazing and it’s no wonder.
A native New Zealander, its no surprise that Taika is super cool, talented, AND has a fantastic sense of humor. But it’s also understandable why we here in the northern hemisphere hadn’t heard much about him before he directed Ragnarok. Thankfully his talent has been recognized and it has opened doors for him to do projects like JoJo Rabbit.
It seems a lot of people were a bit worried about a satirical movie about Hitler, so much so that Taika had to take on the roll of Hitler himself. But there’s a lot of awards buzz so it looks like he knows what he is doing!
2. FITS socks – I have been a SmartWool girl for years. I get cold feet and these things were like manna from heaven – wool but washable and not itchy? Pinch me! Then a friend of mine told me about FITS socks and said she liked them better than SmartWool. I was completely skeptical but I decided to try them. OMG, she was right! They still have all the benefits of SmartWool but with betters options in terms of height (fat calves over here) and padded heels (insert Hallelujah chorus). Both socks are a blend – Smartwool is Merino wool, nylon, and elastane. FITS is Merino wool, nylon, polyester, and lycra. Admittedly I do like a lot of the designs on the Smartwool better but I’m willing to give that up for comfort – you know what they say, “form follows function.” Sorry SmartWool, I’m afraid I’m a FITS girl now.
3. This photo of Ted Danson – the man is utterly joyful from being arrested. I LOVE THIS GUY!!!
4. This article about What We Can Still Learn From Mister Rogers as Adults By Shayla Thiel Stern. You’re going to want to read the entire article but the main points are:
- Routine and responsibility are the bedrock of your day.
- It feels good to make something, even if you aren’t very good at it.
- Put on your sneakers.
- The Land of Make-Believe is still there for you.
- Look for the helpers.
- Finally, just be a good neighbor.
5. These photos taken by photographer Jermaine Horton. An 8 year-old named Marian Scott (isn’t that an epic name for a little kid in 2019?!?) showed up to school in Jackson, Michigan on school picture day. It seems however the school has some sort of nonsense policy that kids are required to only have hair color in “natural tones.” Marian had red-extensions. What did the school do? They didn’t allow this 8 year-old to have her school photos taken. Can you say devastating? Well guess what – her parents were pissed to say the least and it got on the news. That’s how Jermaine Horton heard about and she offered to do a super awesome photo shoot for Marian free of charge. And as you can see, the photos are WAY better than any old class pictures would have been.